Tuesday, July 3, 2007

Making Financial Literacy a Game Worth Playing!

I know, I know... I say "budget", and you immediately retch in disgust. If I say "spending moderation", "investments", "401K and IRA accounts"... are you equally put off?

You shouldn't be... not if you can make a game out of it.

All of these things tie in together to make your complete financial picture. At first, it may seem a little daunting to comprehend all of these terms, but trust me - when you can roll them off your tongue like the latest football scores or most recent Paris Hilton scandal, you'll be thanking me!

A couple of years ago, I read Rich Dad, Poor Dad by Robert Kiyosaki. BRILLIANT book that showed how financial education starts when you're young. You are programmed from childhood about how to handle (or mismanage) money, and this book clearly illustrated how a rich "dad" educates his children about finances, and how a poor "dad" doesn't (or DOES, through words, actions, and deeds surrounding the subject of finances).

Recently, I became a parent of five (that's a whole other story, Dear Reader!). One of the things that I DID NOT WANT was to become a "poor dad", so my spouse and I worked on a plan to educate our kidlets on how to make, save, and invest money. The key way we have turned our clan into mini money moguls is by playing Cashflow 101.





This game is BRILLIANT. It introduces all to the concepts of a balance sheet, investments, stocks, doodads (unnecessary expenditures), money management - all in one board. My kids now play it on their own - we started playing it once a week on Family Night (it's a LONG game, so be prepared to set aside at least 5 hours the first go-round), but then, at various times of the week, I kept hearing, "Hey Jazmine! Can you come and play a quick game of Cashflow with me?" or, "Leon! We're setting up Cashflow - get the calculators!". Mind you - my kids are 15, 14, 12, 10, and 7, but they play with a vengeance. It's all out financial war when they sit down; they are so familiar with the educational aspects and concepts introduced, that now, they play for fun (actually, they play for financial DOMINANCE. They're vicious, this group... truly vicious!)

Cashflow 101 is a game played at most Real Estate Investment Association groups, so if you don't have a clan at home to play with, you can find a group in your area. This game is KEY to understanding how to manage your financial life - it's a must buy!

P.S. Cashflow 101 is meant for ages 13 and over. The game Cashflow for Kids is available to teach youngsters how to manage and grow money, and Cashflow 202 introduces advanced investment concepts, such as 1031 real estate exchanges and Call/Put investment options. We've graduated to 202, but we still don't allow my 7 year old, Nicholas, to play 101 yet. That pisses him off, but doesn't stop him from leaning over Dad's shoulder and offering investment advice. They don't even like to play Monopoly anymore. "Too slow," they say.

P.P. S. If you're spending your time focusing on Paris' weekly shenanigans and not your financial well being, shame on you!

No comments: